Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Farmers Branch: My 'Sister' City

Farmers Branch Banter

For those of you who don’t know, Farmers Branch is twinned with my home district, Bassetlaw. Before I arrived here I tried making contacts through the twinning association to try and establish a link with the city, but sadly nothing ever materialized. Watch this space.....

Heres the Evidence - See I'm telling the truth!!!






So far when I have asked people about my Twin City, the only thing people usually tell me is that in 2007, Farmers Branch became the first in the nation to prohibit landlords from renting to most illegal immigrants. So a pretty conservative place i’d say!!


As you can see here on the map, its simply a city in the suburbs of Dallas.
















Last week I visited the Farmers Branch Historical Park to learn more about the history of this City.



The 1870s Farmers Branch depot, the 1900s Farmers Branch school, the 1930s Dodson House, the 1885 Queen Anne Victorian Cottage and an 1890s church.







Early Texas log cabin architecture.



























I actually met a Fireman at Christmas in Nocona who works at Farmers Branch, he wants me to come visit the station and take me for a full tour of the city on the fire engine! Will keep you updated on that! 

But for now he gave me a Farmers Branch Fire Combat T-Shirt. 

Lovely...I know!!

No comments: